Though my credential is active, I have not taught in a few years.  I’d have to review the California requirements on credentialing.  But I can’t imagine they’ve changed all that much.

1.  Emergency 30-Day Substitute Credential.  Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit Open PDF in current window.  (Day-to-Day Substitute Teaching)
2.  Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers.  Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers Open PDF in current window.  (For individuals who have not earned a Bachelor’s or higher degree).  Wow, so you can teach without a degree.  Amazing.
3.  Emergency Career Substitute Permit.  What the heck is that?  Glad you asked. Emergency Career Substitute Permit Open PDF in current window. (For individuals with 3+ years of substitute teaching in one school district).
4.  Emergency Designated Subjects Career Technical Education Permit for 30-Day Substitute teacher.  Incredible.  Emergency Designated Subjects Career Technical Education Permit for 30-Day Substitute Teaching Service  Open PDF in current window. (For substitute teaching in Career Technical Education [CTE] classes).


Preliminary or Level I Credentials.

A Preliminary or Level I Credential is a teaching or service credential that is valid for five years. The preliminary/level I credential cannot be renewed. Preliminary/Level I credentials require the holder to complete additional specific requirements based on the preparation pathway and documentation submitted with the initial application for certification. Additional academic requirements must be completed to qualify for and upgrade to the Clear or Level II credential.

Clear or Level II Credentials

The term “Clear” or “Level II” credential signifies that all education and program requirements for the credential have been met. Clear or Level II credentials are not held for professional growth requirements. Effective January 1, 2007, all clear and level II credentials must be renewed online.

GENERAL EDUCATION TEACHING CREDENTIAL allows you to teach elementary school, grades K-6.

If you’re going to teach high-school English, you’re going to need a CLAD or Cross Cultural Language and Academic Development and Bilingual Authorization Permits.


Single Subject Credential

R14I Complete a Commission-approved Induction program. Information on clearing this requirement can be found in Options for Earning a General Education (MS/SS) Clear Teaching CredentialOpen PDF in current window.